Why use Python?
- It is a scripted language, so it can be quickly written and tested.
- It has powerful data structures and operators that can simply and consisely perform complex tasks.
- Scientific libraries are usually written in C or Fortran and then wrapped in Python.
- Many standard scientific libraries are available.
- Complex computations run at the speed of compiled C code rather than interpreted code.
- Software is available that automatically wraps existing C and Fortran code.
- Most functions in Matlab and IDL are available in Python.
- No licensing fees simplify the sharing of code.
Last modified February 24, 2011